We are seeking to appoint a senior building control surveyor with detailed knowledge and experience in the administration and enforcement of the Building Regulations and allied legislation.
Core duties associated with this role will involve the provision of building regulations service, both plan examination and carrying out site inspections. Applicants should have experience and competence to deal with large and or complex applications and projects.
The work of the Building Control team is both varied and interesting. You will be responsible for the assessment of dangerous structures, consideration of highway licences, demolition notices and have opportunity to be involved with safety at sports grounds and street naming and numbering.
As a senior surveyor you will also have occasion to share your knowledge, support and mentor junior colleagues as part of ongoing training and development within the team.
- Assess building regulation submissions particularly for complex and major developments to ensure compliance. Identify, interpret and apply relevant legislation and use professional judgement to determine applications for approval or rejection.
- Supervise and mentor staff in the delivery of services where applicable.
- Implement and enforce legislation in accordance with Council and Building Control policy.
- Implement statutory and informal consultations with external agencies and other council services as required in accordance with standard procedure.
- Utilising tools and equipment, inspect complex and major building sites, assess record, report and certify building work for compliance with the Building Regulations and associated legislation. Provide pre-contravention advice, enforcement action including drafting formal notices and court attendance.
- Oversee and undertake management information duties, use of Section IT system, calculating and validating fees.
- Process notices for demolition works under the Building Act 1984 and determine licence applications for skips scaffolds and hoarding on the public highway under the Highways Act 1980.
- Oversee and undertake the investigation of buildings or structures reported as being dangerous and a risk to public safety.
- Undertake inspections and audits in respect of designated ground and regulated stands under the Safety at Sports Grounds Act 1975.
- Provide advice on fire safety and structures associated with temporary structures.
- To promote and implement the Council's Equality Policy in all aspects of employment and service delivery.
- To assist in maintaining a healthy, safe and secure environment and to act in accordance with the Council's policies and procedures.
For an informal discussion please ring David Wilson, 0191 277 7181.